Thursday, February 18, 2010

Art On The Walls

This is not a blog about sewing today. I am trying to get some art for my walls. I have white exposed brick, which I love for its texture, but I would like to put up some pictures some time soon. Finding art that I like has always seemed very daunting to me, but I am trying to overcome my feelings and just get some art. Period. How hard can it be?

I have been looking online at paintings, and here are the winners so far:
This is my favorite, by Whistler:

I like the colors and the serenity of it.

Here is another one that I like by Whistler:


This next picture was in my high school literature book. I cut it out, framed it, and had it on my wall for years. I don't know who painted it, but it is called Ruby Green Singing. I don't have it any more, but I still like it.

Here is a picture by Sargent. I like it, but except for the picture above, I don't usually like pictures with people in them. I think what draws me to this picture is the light, which makes everything in the painting glow but at the same time look very serene. I probably wouldn't put it on my walls, but the light makes me happy.

I seem to be drawn to art that is soothing. I know lots of people who like more dramatic art, with great swirls of bright color, but I like to look at pictures that bring out that "Aaaah..." sigh of relaxation. I have kids and coffee to pep me up, I need art to slow me down.

No comments:

Post a Comment