Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Baby Sling and Things That Make Me Happy

A friend of mine, who I have known as long as I can remember, had her baby -a girl!!!- two weeks ago. She needed a sling, so I got online and found some directions, then made one out of some fabric that jumped out at me in the fabric store, screaming her name. (No, fabric does not talk to me on a regular basis, only sometimes...) I had wanted to use the aforementioned bird fabric, but there wasn't enough for the sling, and the print is too big for a baby dress, so it will languish in my stash for a while, I guess.
It was so EASY EASY EASY that I am almost embarrassed to give it to her. I made her wedding dress, so she knows that I am capable of more. Once I find some cute baby fabric, I'll make a little dress, but this will have to do for now.
Anyway, you buy 2 1/2 yards of beautiful, non-stretchy fabric, hem it, and fold it like a fan on one end. Then you thread the folded end through two three-inch metal rings, fold the fabric down, and sew through the layers. And, you're done. If you follow me so far, good for you, but if not, just look online for better directions.
I hope to post a photo of her and the baby later.
I also wanted to share some things that are making me happy right now.
The first is this adorable container I found at the local thrift store.


It came in a pack with three more, and I love them. I am a sucker for any kind of metal food container with a lid. I don't make many pies, but if I did, I would put a slice in each container and go on a picnic! These have that kitschy 50's rocket thing going on, and my kids cannot break them. The worst they could do is run them over in a car, but they are pretty far from driving still, so the containers are safe.


And in other happy-making news, another friend of mine gave me some leather scraps:
I was just thinking that I would like to experiment with sewing purses and wallets out of leather, and lo and behold, I have a little pile of leather to work with. It is very soft and not too thick, so I made a wallet today on my sewing machine. It went together in about 1 hour, from figuring out my pattern to being done. I'll post photos of the wallet soon.
It is kind of weird to think "Here's a pile of cow skin on my table." I am not a vegetarian, or even close to being one, but it is a little strange.
In not-so-happy crafting news, the green awning I made in January was 4 inches too narrow, so I had to sew a strip down the middle to extend it. It hurt my perfectionist soul, but when the frame you're covering is four states away, you have to expect some hiccups. I will not be posting a photo of the extended awning. I want to remember it pre-surgery.