Saturday, December 19, 2009

World's Best Molasses Cookies

I made 4 dozen of these cookies the day before yesterday, as well as a few dozen other kinds. This is all that is left of the molasses cookies. The recipe was given to me by my friend Sandy, who is also my husband's boss at the shelter he works at.
Sandy's cookies, especially the molasses cookies, are legendary. People are thrilled if she gives them a tin full of them as a wedding present. I don't know if it is the large amount of spices in the cookies, or the 3/4 cup of molasses, or the satisfying crunch of the sugar coating, but there is no doubt that these cookies are addicting. Since addicting cookies and Christmas go together, I thought I'd share the recipe here.

Sandy's Molasses Cookies
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix together in a large bowl until fluffy:

3 sticks butter, softened
2 eggs
3/4 cup molasses, dark if possible
1 3/4 cup dark brown sugar

Whisk together in another bowl:

4 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons ginger
1 teaspoon ground cloves

Dump the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, and mix well. Pour about 1 cup of granulated sugar into a bowl or plate.
With moistened hands, roll the dough into 1 1/2 inch balls. Roll the balls in the sugar, coating completely. Put 12 of the balls onto a cookie sheet, press down slightly on each ball, and bake for 8 - 12 minutes until crackly and slightly underdone. Remove from cookie sheet and cool on cookie racks.
This recipe makes about 48 cookies.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I had two. Your neighbors are to blame for the disappearance of the rest-- and my lips are sealed. -- Mom

    ReplyDelete