Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Frankenstein Awning Replacement

The mother of a friend of mine likes to sit on her porch swing, which was covered by a green awning for shade. The trouble was, the elements had done a lot of very bad things to the awning. You think scary movies are freaky? Check out Mother Nature!
So my friend asked me to sew a replacement awning for the swing.
Here it is before:

This is definitely a well-used item.
Here is a close up of the lichen growing on it:

Someone artsier than me would figure out a cool use for it, but I am more traditional.
This was a fairly tricky project, because the actual frame for the awning is in Alabama, and the old awning was warped, stretched, and held together with duct tape. But, I took a deep breath and several measurements, (and blew my nose repeatedly, because I have a mold allergy), and did my best.
This is the top of the new one, which is basically boring but clean:
This is the underside that attaches to the frame. This took a lot of thought because I wanted my friend's mom to be able to remove it and wash it if the lichen should go into a feeding frenzy again. So, it has triangular pockets on the corners for the corners of the frame, and 14 little straps with green velcro to hold the whole thing down.




I wanted to iron it, but this type of outdoor fabric melts. Easily. Without warning. In a very dramatic manner. This is the voice of experience speaking here...
But, once it gets on the frame, I think it will straighten out.

3 comments:

  1. i am just shocked you allowed that thing into your room

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you're amazing, Gen! That swing will look like new with that on it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Window replacement represents one of the more substantial investments you can make in your home. The replacement of old or under-performing windows can effectively reduce your monthly utility costs and give your home a bit more curb appeal. There are a wide variety of window replacement options to choose from, including vinyl, storm and custom wood windows as well as bay and bow windows.




    Windows NH

    ReplyDelete