Sunday, January 3, 2010

Bread In Five Minutes A Day




I recently took this book out from the library because I would love to have Artisan bread in only five minutes a day. I make lots of bread. In fact, I make bread about 3 or 4 times a week. The thought of pulling out a hunk of bread dough from my refrigerator, putting it in the oven, and baking it to perfection without having to do lots of measuring is very appealing to me. I've been spoiled by having a Zojirushi bread machine for several years. I don't really like the crust of bread made in a machine, so I usually use the machine to make dough and bake it in the oven.
This is the first loaf I made. It looks good, but let me tell you, artisans must have good teeth! The crust on this loaf is very crunchy and hard to chew. I like crunchy crusts, but this is extreme.
To make this bread, you make a big wad of very wet dough, let it rise, put it in your refrigerator, and pull out enough dough for a loaf as you want it. The idea is good, but that first loaf was not what I was expecting. Also, we go through one or two larger loaves per day ( I have a lot of hungry neighbors, too), so I don't know if I can store a week's worth of dough in my refrigerator. Here is a photo of my fridge:
To be honest, I removed a large plate full of day-old pizza that was somehow perched on top of the milk. So, I have a tiny fridge, the kind that parents give their college-age kids as they head off to a place of learning. (The parents think to themselves that it will be full of milk and cheese, and leafy green vegetables, but I suspect that really they wind up full of old pizza and fermented beverages, if you get my drift...) Anyway, I may not have room for the five-minutes-a-day bread. However, Santa and my husband were very kind and attentive to me this year, and I can make bread in this:
The bowl is not pictured, because it is full of bread dough, the slow, measured kind. I am going to try the other kind again soon, but until then, I will keep making the bread I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment